08 October 2011

Pumpkin Spiced Oatmeal

I am so in a fall mood!  The smells and flavors are some of my favorites.  As long as I don't look at a thermometer or go outside, it's fall to me.

 
One of my favorite fall things is pumpkin.  It's funny though, pumpkin is one of those things I used to really not care for.  Oatmeal too for that matter.  Now, I keep both on hand all the time.

The only recipe I had for Pumpkin Oatmeal was cooked in a crock pot over night and made so much that I froze it in single serving containers.   It was good but since I'm the only one here who eats oatmeal, it was just way too much and took up too much room in the freezer.  So I've been trying different things wanting to come up with something that I can make in the morning (or afternoon or evening) and have just enough leftover so I don't get sick of it trying to eat it all.

   




Pumpkin Spiced Oatmeal
This makes 3 meal sized servings or 4 snack sized


  • 1 3/4 cups water
  • 1 cup old fashioned oats
  • 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 4 tablespoons brown sugar (I used Splenda brown sugar)
  • 2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
  • 1/4 cup dried craisins
Bring water to a boil, add oats, reduce to medium and cook for 5 minutes.

Remove from heat, add butter and craisins and allow to thicken for several minutes.

In a bowl, mix the pumpkin, brown sugar and spices.

Once oatmeal has thickened, stir in pumpkin mixture until well combined.







No comments:

Post a Comment