05 October 2011

Chicken Enchilada Soup

I have seen variations of this soup all over the internet lately and have been itching to make it.   I was going to wait for cooler weather but if I do that, they're aren't enough cool/cold days in a year here for me to make all the dishes I have on my "cooler weather" list.

Every variation started with the same basic ingredients, enchilada sauce, soup, some type of bean and chicken.  After looking at quite a few to see what twists people were putting on it, I went to my pantry and this is what I came up with for my variation.  

Whether you take it and make it your own or use my recipe as written, I hope you and your family enjoy it as much as we did.




Chicken Enchilada Soup

  • 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 can diced fire roasted tomatoes with medium green chilies
  • 1 cup frozen corn (you could use more)
  • 1/2 med onion, diced
  • 1 can (19 oz.) medium red enchilada sauce
  • 1 can cream of chicken soup
  • 1 soup can of milk
  • 2 pieces of boneless/skinless chicken, frozen (I used big thighs)
  • 8 oz. colby jack cheese, shredded
  • 1 small bag tortilla chips
  • sour cream (optional)
  • avocado, sliced (optional)

Combine beans, tomatoes, corn, and onion in 4-5 qt crock pot then place chicken on top.

Whisk together the sauce, soup and milk then pour mixture over ingredients in slow cooker.

Cover and cook on low heat for 6 to 8 hours (or high for 3 to 4 hours).

Shortly before serving, take the chicken out, shred it then return it to the crock pot.

When serving, crumble chips on top of soup and sprinkle with cheese.   Serve with extra chips to crumble as the soup is eaten.

You could also add a dollop of sour cream and sliced avocado.

NOTE:  Using the fire roasted tomatoes with medium chilis, gave this soup a bit of bite!   I also used a medium heat enchilada sauce because that is what I had on hand.  I was glad I did.  I was afraid Pool Guy might not care for it but he said it wasn't too hot for him.  He thought it was good and I  didn't need to add any sort of hot sauce to mine.    I think I might try it next time with a can of green enchilada sauce instead of the red.  I bet that would be good too!



No comments:

Post a Comment