20 May 2011

Chicken and Rice Soup

Makes 10 - approximately 1 1/2 cup servings.  

4 points plus each

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Okay, so I know it's 90 degrees and 98% humidity today but I don't care.  I want soup.  I want something light, something bursting with flavor, something easy to make.   I want soup.  LOL

This was so easy.  I just went through my freezer and pantry to see what I had, a little prep and then threw it together in a pot.  The result was hugely flavorful, light but satisfying and super low in points.  Doesn't get any better than that!


Chicken and Rice Soup

  • 2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
  • 6 cups low sodium broth
  • 2 cups fresh (or 1 jar) mushrooms
  • 1 cup diced carrots
  • 1 med onion, diced
  • 3 cloves garlic, diced
  • 1 can green beans
  • 1 cup uncooked long grain white rice (not instant)
  • 2 T Paula Deen's Poultry Seasoning
  • 2 chicken bullion cubes or equivalent powder
  • 2 T olive oil


Heat olive oil in 5qt dutch oven over med heat.

Add onions and saute until translucent then add garlic.

Add mushrooms and seasonings.

Continue to saute until they are just browning.

Pour in broth and add bullion.  Scrape up all the browned bits on the bottom of the pan.

Bring to boil and add rice and carrots.

Reduce heat, cover and cook 20 min.

Remove lid, add remaining ingredients, heat through.

No comments:

Post a Comment