06 February 2011

Zucchini Patties

Makes 24 patties ~ 1/2 points+ each (2 per serving)


each patty:  18cal / 1.16g fat / .24g carbs / .02g fib / 1.60g protein


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


These are so easy and so delicious.  I like to make a big batch so I have some for a nice crunchy, savory snack, but it seems I never really have some left over.  As soon as they come out of the pan, there are hands coming in from all directions stealing them.   Pool Guy and Blue Girl are as bad about stealing these as they are about stealing bacon as it comes off the grill.  If I want to make some to go with supper, I usually have to make them during the day when everyone is gone.  Then I just pop them into the oven to warm before serving. 





Zucchini Patties

  • 3 - large zucchini (about 3c shredded lightly packed)
  • 2 -  eggs
  • 2/3 cup shredded parmesan cheese
  • seasoning of choice (I used 3/4T Paula Deen's House Seasonings - adds a nice bite)


Wash Zucchini and cut the stem end only off each one.

Grate zucchini with a large cut grater.

Put zucchini into tea towel and squeeze as much moisture out as you can saving the juice.

Dump zucchini into a colander, sprinkle with some salt and let drain for a couple of hours.

Note:  I usually end up with about 1 cup of juice.  I'll freeze that and use it in the next soup, stew etc. that I make.  The flavor is really bland so it doesn't add much in that area but it adds a lot of nutrients.

Mix zucchini, egg, seasonings and cheese in large bowl.

Heat just enough olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan over med-low heat.

Using a slotted serving spoon (not cooking) as a scoop, drop into pan and flatten into a fairly thin patty.

Note:  the smaller the patty, the easier to turn and the better it will turn out - like hash browns. 

Cook until brown and crispy.

Note:  Don't crowd the pan.  I use a large pan and only cook 4 -5 at a time.  



This is all that was left by the time I finished cooking them.  About half were eaten already. 







2 comments:

  1. That looks so good. I will have to make these. Thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think my mom used to make these when I was a kid. Will definitely try this one of these days!

    ReplyDelete