08 January 2011

Two Bean Chili

Makes 6 - 1 cup servings  7 points+ each


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



I was wanting Chili today but didn't want to wait all day or make a huge batch nor did I have all the ingredients on hand even if I had wanted to do that.   So, it was time to improvise..  I love improvising!

I came up with what Pool Guy said was my best chili yet!  He asked if I could make it in big batches and can this version instead of the other.  I think I can do that for him, just not today. LOL

This was my creation!






Two Bean and Beef Chili

  • 1 lb extra lean (95/5 or better) ground beef
  • 1 yellow onion, diced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 15oz can diced tomatoes
  • 1 cup tomato sauce
  • 1/2 cup water *
  • 1 can kidney beans (drain but don't rinse)
  • 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 2 T chili powder
  • 1 1/2 T ground Cumin
  • 1 1/2 T onion powder
  • 1 1/2 T garlic powder
  • 1 T beef bouillon powder *
  • 1 T olive oil
  • 1 t salt
  • 1/4 t pepper
*  if you don't have the bouillon powder, use 1/2 cup beef broth in place of it and the water 


In a large, heavy pot, Sautee onion and garlic in oil until softened.

Add ground beef and cook through breaking up as it cooks.

Add remaining ingredients.  

Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 30 min.

Stir and turn to low heat.  

Cover and let cook 1-2 hours.

You could also prepare all the ingredients and throw it into a 4qt crock pot and let it cook 4-6 hrs on low.


1 comment:

  1. Love your blog!! I feel a kinship to your story. I will be making the Salisbury Steak and Mushroom gravy in my crock pot this week.Got all the stuff for it when I went shopping yesterday.

    ReplyDelete