17 January 2011

Beef and Veggie Soup

Makes 8 - 1 1/2 cup servings ~ 4 points+ per

This made so much soup.  Pool Guy (x2) and I ate then I ended up taking a container to my nephew at work for his supper and still froze 4 serving size containers full.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



It's too cold here in South Texas!  We had two days last week the wind chill was in the low 30s!  Blue Girl got her first ever "It's too damn cold to go to school" day.  LOL    We stayed home and cuddled in the warm bed watching Mystery Science Theater 3000 on Netflix.  I love being the mommy and making the rules! 

We decided a nice hot bowl of soup was needed to complete the new 'holiday'.  A real soup, not something from a can.  I wanted something quick and easy that I didn't have to be out of my toasty bed long to make.

Since I'm in the middle of a pantry challenge this month, I went to the freezer and pantry to see what I had.  I had all the fixins for a Beef Veggie soup, never mind the fact that I have never made one before but how difficult can it be?  It's got to be better than what you get from a can right?

I loaded up on the veggies!  I just kept going "Ooooo, I'll add ________, that sounds good".  So it may be a little heavy on the veggies and light on the meat for some people's tastes but we enjoyed it.   You can also skip the cabbage and add noodles if you like.  The cabbage is a tad easier on my blood sugar levels so I opted for that. ;)

You're not gonna get this out of a can!  Go ahead....try.  Not happening my friends!








Beef and Veggie Soup

  • 1 pound lean stew meat
  • 1 1/2 qts low sodium organic beef broth
  • 1/3 head of cabbage, chopped
  • 2 med. zucchini, chunked
  • 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 med. onion, diced large
  • 2 large tomatoes, diced large
  • 2 cups fresh spinach, cut up (about 1/2 a bag of baby spinach)
  • 1 cup carrots, sliced
  • 1 T tomato paste
  • 2 t worcestershire sauce (or soy sauce depending on what you're going for)
  • 2 t onion powder
  • 2 t garlic powder
  • 1 t salt
  • 1/4 t pepper


Spray a heavy dutch oven with Pam, saute onion until just softened. (It filled a 5qt pot)
Add cubed beef and brown.

Add mushrooms and cook until just starting to brown.

Pour in your broth scraping up all the good tasties at the bottom of the pan.

Dump in everything except the zucchini and spinach.  
Simmer, covered for 20 min.

Add zucchini, cover and simmer for 10 min. (add noodle now if you are using them)

Stir in Spinach and serve with a sprinkling of shredded parmesan cheese and some garlic bread.



Mmmmm....tasty!




1 comment:

  1. That's so funny, I made soup too! Mine was a mixed veggie soup. I made a huge pot so I could eat on it all week. Yours looks yummy!!

    ReplyDelete