03 November 2010

Shrimp Po' Boys

Recipe adapted from Shrimp Po' Boys with Spicy Mayo in the book Now Eat This! by Rocco Dispirito (found on page 73)

Serves 4, Weight Watchers Points 6.5


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 


Po' boy:  a traditional submarine sandwich from Louisiana. It almost always consists of meat or seafood, usually fried, served on baguette-like Louisiana French bread.

The healthy version:  a traditional submarine sandwich from Louisiana consisting of meat or seafood, lightly breaded and baked, served on a whole grain bun.  Who knew a Po' Boy could be healthy?!

This was good.  Really, really good.  But then we are shrimp-aholics around here. When you can wake up early and head down to the marina and get fresh shrimp just about any day of the week, you are living in an pretty darned close to perfect world.   I'm so glad I made the whole recipe, now I have enough leftover for lunch tomorrow.  Next time...oysters get invited to the party!

I made a couple of changes to the recipe to suit our tates and readily available ingredients.

  1. Instead of the spicy mayo that was called for in the book, I decided to go with my homemade tartar sauce using light mayo and I added a squirt of Sriracha sauce, just a tad since Pool Guy is not big on spicy.   I also added a squirt or two of tabasco to mine.    
  2. I also had to sub a whole grain hoagie rolls for the Ezekiel Buns since I have never been able to find them.  I found some rolls that had the same nutritional value so all was well.
  3. And finally, instead of the jarred roasted red peppers, I used sliced heirloom tomatoes.



 
 Shrimp Po' Boys

  • 1/2 c whole wheat flour (I actually used about 1/2 of this amount)
  • 2 cups panko (again, only 1/2 got used)
  • 3 egg whites, beaten until light and fluffy - not stiff (same here...1/2 used)
  • 8 oz large shrimp, peeled and deveined
  • 4 whole grain buns/hoagies (Ezekiel etc.)
  • lettuce
  • 1 heirloom tomato, sliced then cut slices in half
  • red onion, sliced (optional) 
  • tartar sauce (low fat) 
  • salt
 Next time, I will only dish out half of each of the breading ingredients.  I ended up throwing a bunch away. :(





    Preheat oven to 450.  Place a wire rack on a baking sheet.  Set aside.

    Put flour, panko and egg white in separate dishes for the breading process.

    Dredge the shrimp in the flour completely coating them lightly.

    Add shrimp to the egg whites making sure you cover them completely.

    Pat shrimp into the Panko lightly coating them completely.

    Place on wire rack, spritz with Pam (he doesn't call for this but I don't know how he got them browned without it) and season generously with salt.

    Bake about 8 min until cooked through and golden brown.

    Spread tartar sauce on toasted bun, place a lettuce leaf, tomato slice and some red onion on each bun bottom then divide shrimp between the four buns.  



     My meal: (I love using divided kid's plates!)


    Po'Boy:  6.5 points
    Salad:  0 points
    Light Ranch (1T): 1 point
    Fruit (1/2c):  1 point


    Total:  8.5

    No comments:

    Post a Comment