19 September 2010

TV Dinners ~ Pot Roast

This was actually so much easier than I thought it would be. Seemed to be much, much easier than typical OAMC too for some reason and I didn't have that huge mess to deal with when it was all over!

I just cooked our regular meal, the same size meal I normally would and instead of putting the leftovers in the fridge, I divided them up and popped them in the freezer. Easy peasy!


For my first venture into the TV Dinner making world, I chose:


  • Pot Roast
  • Brown Rice
  • Broccoli





  • 1 - 3lb roast
  • 1 - med onion
  • 1 - small pkg mushrooms
  • 1 1/2 cups brown rice
  • 1 - bag frozen broccoli tops
  • 1 - can cream of mushroom soup

Cook roast according to your preference. Here's how I like to do it.

Make your rice according to directions. I like to make mine in the oven. Perfect brown rice every time.


Once everything was cooked and cooled somewhat, I filled the containers. Each container has the same amount of each item so all the dinners are exactly the same. This way they will each cook at the same rate and have the name nutritional value.

Each container has:

  • 4oz roast
  • 1/2 cup of rice
  • 1/4 cup of gravy
  • 1 cup of broccoli





To reheat: Remove from freezer, remove top and cover with plastic wrap. Microwave on high for 3 min, stir and check if done. If needed, microwave one more minute on high.

Nutrition per meal:
407 cal / 14g fat / 34g carbs / 59g protein
There is probably less fat but I would rather err on the high side.

Cost per meal:
$ 1.61 (this made 6 meals with some rice/gravy left over)

No comments:

Post a Comment