18 September 2010

Freezer Cooking ~ A New Approach

I do the OAMC sessions and freeze all kinds of things. It is so convenient to just go grab something out of the freezer and not have to worry about cooking. However, with a teenager that is a super picky eater and a hubby that is working two full-time jobs, it's hard to plan even a freezer meal around here. Blue Girl doesn't want that, Pool Guy is not that hungry or too hot to eat something warm/hot. So I've decided to approach this from a different angle.


TV Dinners....






Tv dinners there's nothin' else to eat
Tv dinners they really can't be beat

I like 'em frozen but you understand
I throw 'em in and wave 'em and I'm a brand new man
oh yeah!


Tv dinners they're goin' to my head

Tv dinners my skin is turnin' red

Twenty year old turkey in a thirty year old tin
I can't wait until tomorrow....
And thaw one out again oh yeah!



Okay, so what I'm thinking of aren't exactly the kind ZZ Top had in mind when they wrote that song. LOL (great, now I'll have that song stuck in my head all night long)

I looked around at tupperware, rubbermaid, gladware, ziploc etc. containers trying to decide how to approach the issue of storage and reheating. I decided on using the ziploc divided containers. They are reusable, inexpensive (around $3.50 for 2), each compartment seals (unlike the rubbermaid Take Alongs) and they are perfect one meal size. I found some rubbermaid Take Alongs with two compartments, instead of the 3 the ziploc have, and they were $2 for a package of 3. I got those instead. I can deal with one less tiny compartment for the cost savings. They don't go into the oven but that's okay. We can always put the food in a small pan and put that in the oven for the things that really won't microwave well.





I have decided on a few meals to start with:


I'm not going to try and make all these meals in one day. I'm not that crazy. I will however, try to make one or two of them each day until I'm done. I will probably get 3-4 meals out of each recipe, some even more. By the end of the week, I hope to have a freezer full of TV Dinners!

As I go, I will post my results and any changes to the recipes I make to adjust for freezing and reheating, like with the pastas.


I look forward to the end result. I hope you come along for the ride and maybe even pick up a tip or two along the way or offer a tip or two to help make this a great experience for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment