15 March 2010

Switchel

Don't know where it comes from, don't know if that's even how you spell it. All I know is....it is so refreshingly good. Switchel is one of those things that the mere mention of it, makes my mouth water.

A little background:
I was at my in laws once, long before Pool Guy and I were married and they had this pitcher of "stuff" in their fridge. It looked kinda, well, weird. Murky I think would be the best description. To be honest, I didn't even want to try it. Pool Guy talked me into trying a sip of his, he was handed back an empty glass. haha

When I asked my mother-in-law for the recipe, years later this is what she had to say about where their version of Switchel comes from:
"I have no idea how to spell the name of this tea or its true origin. When we lived in France (1963 to 1965) a neighbor from Rhode Island showed me how to make it. It had been one of her family’s favorite things and over the years it’s made a hit with a lot of our friends, too. I often think of our friends from Rhode Island when I make it and however you spell it, it’s always refreshing, especially in the summer. "

So, if anyone out there has any information on Switchel, please feel free to leave a comment. I would love to know where this divine concoction originated and if this is, in fact, the actual name.
So, here it is....




Switchel
  • 2 family sized tea bags (or 4 regular sized)
  • 2/3 cup of orange juice
  • 3 tablespoons of lemon juice
  • 3/4 cups of sugar (or equivalent amount of whatever sweetener you choose)



Bring water to a boil in a small pot. Once water is boiling, turn off stove and remove from heat.


Once bubbling stops, put in your tea bags and steep just enough times to get the tea flowing.
Leave the bags in the pot. Let cool to room temperature.

Once cooled, remove bags and pour tea into a 2 quart pitcher.


Add your orange juice, lemon juice and sweetener. Mix well.


Fill the rest of the way with water to make 2 quarts.

No comments:

Post a Comment