03 March 2010

Pork Butt ~ Smoked




I had an 8 lb pork butt that I had thawed and was going to just grind up for making sausage, pork burgers and ground pork meals with but...instead I decided to go the Alton Brown route and smoke it!

I am using my gas grill as a smoker since I don't have one....yet. Pool Guy told me today that he would make me an Alton Brown Flower Pot Smoker in before I wanted to smoke something again.

Since I am using my grill, it has been really hard to maintain a temp below 250. I ended up using two bricks to hold open the grill to keep the temp down. It worked fine. This time. It was a nice day out with temps in the high 60's to low 70's. During the summer, this will never work.


I started out by soaking the roast in a brine over night.


Brine

  • 8 oz by weight of pickling salt (it is different than kosher or table salt, use pickling salt)
  • 3/4 cup of molasses
  • 2 quarts of water

NOTE: Alton Brown's recipe calls for 12 oz, by weight, of salt. Most of the comments found this to be too salty so I reduced it as was suggested. No need to heat this up. As a matter of fact, you want the water to be at room temp. That is the whole reason for using the pickling salt. It dissolves in cold water.


Put your roast in a container that will hold it and the brine. I used my 6 qt crock pot because it also fits in the fridge nicely.




Pour the brine over and make sure it gets under neath the roast. Put in the fridge for 12 hours.


Remove the roast and discard the brine. Pat dry.


Dry Rub


  • 1 tablespoon onion powder
  • 1 tablespoon paprika
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder

NOTE: This is NOT AB's dry rub recipe. This is what we like. :o)

Mix in a large holed shaker and shake on the roast. Coating all sides. Use all the rub. Then gently pat in, don't try to rub in it, you'll end up with more on your hands than the roast.


Heat your smoker/grill to 210 degrees.

Place your soaked wood chips in your smoker box, or wrap in foil and poke some holes in the foil.


Place the wood chips directly over the heat.
Once they start smoking, place your roast on the grate.



Change the wood chips as needed. I ended up doing 3 batches of wood chips in a 12 hour period or until it reaches an internal temp of at least 175.


Take the roast out of the smoker and wrap in double foil. Turn the smoker off and put your roast back in there for one hour.




Pull meat apart with forks. Eat as is or add some BBQ sauce.

OAMC ~ I'll pull it all apart then put meal sized portions into food saver bags and put in the freezer. To use: Thaw, heat on stove in pan adding BBQ sauce if you like. Serve on buns.

No comments:

Post a Comment