19 March 2010

Pickled Cucumbers

Makes 16 ~ 1/2 cup servings, 0.4 points each


Nope, not pickles, but Pickled Cucumbers. They are different ya know you silly person you.

Growing up, my mother made these and we always had a container in the fridge. They can be eaten as a cool, refreshing side dish, a snack or, how I like them, as a big bowl of vinegar-y goodness. I have been known to eat them as my meal.

This is super simple. Funny how the simplest foods can be the ones that stick with you for the rest of your life.







Pickled Cucumbers

  • 2 large cucumbers
  • 1 med- large onion (if you use a red one, it will turn them a pretty pink)
  • 3 1/4 cups vinegar
  • 1 - 1 1/4  cup Splenda (depending on taste)
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 teaspoon pepper


I don't have that much vinegar and splenda pictured. I originally was going to make a smaller batch then changed my mind. ;o)


Pour your vinegar, splenda, salt and pepper into a quart jar. Lid tightly and shake. Set aside.


Peel and slice your cucumbers. I like to slice them in half length wise then into 1/2 inch pieces.


Peel and thinly slice your onion. The red onions really do make for a pretty salad. I just didn't have one today.


Mix your onion and cucumber together. Stuff them evenly into two wide mouth quart jars.

Fill the jars to the top with the vinegar, splenda, salt and pepper mixture.


Put the jars in the refrigerator and wait. That is the hard part. You need to let them sit at least 24 hours, the longer the better. I like to let them go at least a week before I dig into them.


They will keep for a long time. I found a jar not too long ago that had been in the back of the fridge for probably 6 months. Boy were those good!

No comments:

Post a Comment