28 February 2010

Freezer Cooking This Week

This week will be a busy one for me. I cleaned out and organized the big freezer over the weekend then made a trip out to Sam's to pick up a few things we were running low on. Each day this week, I will be tackling a food category, getting the freezer stocked back up and doing some canning.

  • Monday (started on Sunday) ~ chicken ~ I have 3 whole/2 Sam's bags of breasts to "fix" and put away

Well, I woke up sick on Monday morning. Terrible head and chest cold with fever. Feel miserable but...I already had two of the whole chickens in the crock pot and the other whole one thawed so I had no choice but to deal with them. Since the Sam's bags are already frozen, I'll get to those some other day.

This is what I ended up with:


10 - 1 cup bags of shredded chicken and one cut up chicken with Asian marinade ready to go (back and wing tips saved and frozen for making broth later on). I let the stock the chickens made sit in the fridge over night and skimmed off the fat and then added my water this morning (Tues) and it is cooking today. I'll can it tomorrow. (see above link to "chicken")

Here is what you will need for the Asian Marinade:
(from a Cooking Light recipe)



  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon ginger paste
  • 3 coves garlic, pressed or minced
  • 1 teaspoon sesame oil

Mix it all together in a quart size zip top bag and place in the food saver bag with your bagged chicken.

Thaw chicken the day before you are going to use it.

Pour all of marinade except 1/4 cup over chicken and let sit for 8-12 hours.

Bake at 400 - 30 min then turn down to 350 for 30 more min. basting with reserved marinade every 15 min.



  • Tuesday ~ ground beef ~ I have 12lbs hamburger meat to fix and put up and I have a 4 1/2 pound boneless rib eye roast I'm going to cut into 6 - 3/4lb - 1.5" steaks.
Well, since I'm sick I decided to take the easy way out today. The meat is thawed so I have to do something with it. Instead of what I had planned, meatloaves, meatballs, taco meat and plain cooked meat, I went with the plain cooked meat only. I can get some more next month to make meatloaves and meatballs with.

I ended up with 15 bags of meat to put in the freezer and I did get my 6 steaks cut today too.





  • Wednesday ~ pork ~ I have 1 - 8lb butt and 5lbs of chops to put up
I smoked the butt for 12 hours. Pulled the meat apart and after eating sandwiches for supper that night and lunch the next day, I put up 5 - 8oz bags. 8oz is enough for a meal for us.




  • Thursday ~ veggies ~ I have 10lbs of onions and 3lbs of mushrooms to put up


  • Friday ~ homemade pizzas ~ I want 12 - 14" pizzas (I hope I have enough stuff)

I hope to have some posts coming up showing what I'm doing with the different things. So come back later in the week to see how things are coming along!




No comments:

Post a Comment