15 February 2010

BBQ Sauce

I like making my own sauces. I take what I like from a few and combine them into one my family and I love! That is exactly what I did with this BBQ sauce.

We like the tang of a vinegar sauce but the sweetness of a molasses and brown sugar sauce all while having the 'back bite' of a spicy sauce. I think I have achieved all of those sensations in this one sauce.


This recipe can easily be multiplied and home canned. Next time I make a really big batch, I will post pictures of the canning procedure along with instructions.



Boo's BBQ Sauce
  • 2 cups ketchup (use a good ketchup)
  • 1/2 cup white vinegar
  • 3 oz tomato paste
  • 5 tablespoons molasses ~ full flavor
  • 5 tablespoons light brown sugar
  • 3 tablespoons dried minced onion
  • 2 tablespoons your favorite hot sauce (Tabasco, Cholula ~ my favorite, etc.)
  • 1/2 tablespoon each, garlic and onion powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
Place all ingredients into a small sauce pan. Carefully heat to just starting to "pop". Turn down heat to low, cover and let cook for 1 hour.

Cool to room temp. before serving. Refrigerate any leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment