This salad is creamy with firm potatoes and chunks of sweet pickles. It has a crunch from carrots, and a slight sweetness from caramelized onions.
Mustard Potato Salad
- 1 1/2 pounds red potatoes, cut into chunks (I find their flavor stands up best to the mustard)
- 1/2 small to medium yellow onion, finely chopped, sauteed
- 3 large sweet pickles roughly chopped
- hand full of matchstick carrots, diced
- just under 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/8 cup (heaping) yellow mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons chopped pimentos
- 1 small diced red bell pepper
- hard boiled eggs ~ my mom put these in and I do if I know it's all going to get eaten that day
Boil potatoes 10-12 min, until fork tender. Drain and set aside to cool.
Mix remaining ingredients in a large bowl.
Add cooled potatoes, fold gently into the dressing.
Add salt and pepper to taste.
Refrigerate, covered for at least 1/2 an hour before serving.