21 January 2010

Easy Sesame Chicken

I love Chinese food but lately I just can't bring myself to pay between $15 and $20 for one plate of Sesame Chicken and some rice. It's just not fitting into my monthly food budget!

I had a hankerin' for some Sesame Chicken bad yesterday. I had already made my menu for the week but I figured as long as I didn't have to go to the store and buy something in order to make it, it was okay to change my menu. That's the way it works right? haha

I found a recipe online for some sauce but tossed it after I made it. It just wasn't that good. Not good enough to put on chicken and feed my family. I took the basic idea of the sauce and came up with my own diabetic friendly recipe that rocked!







Easy Sesame Chicken
  • 1 - bag of frozen fully cooked Popcorn Chicken
  • 1/4 - cup Splenda
  • 1/8 - cup corn starch
  • 1 1/2 - cups chicken broth or stock
  • 1/8 - cup rice wine vinegar (or white vinegar)
  • 3 - tablespoons soy sauce ~ low sodium
  • 3 - tablespoons toasted sesame oil
  • 1 - teaspoon Thai Chili/Garlic paste (or to taste)
  • 1 - teaspoon ginger paste
  • toasted sesame seeds (I didn't have any so I just left them out)




Heat oven and start chicken cooking according to package directions.

In medium sauce pan, heat remaining ingredients over med heat stirring constantly until thickened.




Place cooked chicken in a large mixing bowl and pour desired amount of sauce over chicken.
Toss and serve immediately.



This sauce recipe made close to 2 cups of sauce. I used just over 1/2 of it on enough chicken to feed 2 adults and 1 child.

No comments:

Post a Comment