10 November 2009

Potato and Ham Soup ~ Crock Pot

....the smell is divine. The taste even better. Smooth, flavorful, warm, comforting...and so easy to make using your crock pot. Served with a loaf of crusty bread, the perfect way to end a cold rainy day.






Potato and Ham Soup
  • 3 1/2 cups peeled and diced potatoes (about 5 med potatoes)
  • 1 small finely chopped onion
  • 1 1/2 cup diced cooked ham (today I used some left over black forest ham from the deli)
  • 3 cups chicken stock (I used my homemade)
  • 2 cups half and half (milk will curdle....trust me)
  • 8oz package of cream cheese
  • 1/2 cup frozen veggies of choice (I used mixed veggies this time)
  • 3 tablespoons butter (I used Shedds Spread Light)
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
  • salt to taste
  • pepper to taste
  • corn starch
Dice your potatoes, onion, ham and garlic. Put it all in the crock pot. (I used my 4 qt and it filled it up ~ I would cut the recipe in half if making it just for the two of us)

Pour in your half and half and stock. Stir in butter, some salt and pepper. Be careful when adding the salt, remember the ham has salt in it and you don't want it too salty. You can always add more at the end.



Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 3-4.


Once your potatoes are soft, mash some up. You can use a masher, immersion blender or you can do like I did, I scooped about half out into the food processor.
Add your frozen veggies and cream cheese (cut into chunks) and let cook another 20-30 min.

If needed, add some cornstarch to thicken. Sprinkle cheese over the top and serve with a loaf of crusty bread.



Results: this is good. It reheats nicely and freezes well. If you like potato soups, this is a definite "add" to your soup list.

No comments:

Post a Comment