02 November 2009

Apricot Chicken ~ Crock Pot

I have seen this recipe on just about every crock pot recipe site I've been to and it has rave reviews so I'm thinking it must be good. I have been wanting to try it but I didn't want to make a full 6qt crock pot of a new dish for Pool Guy and I when we might not even like it. (I already know Blue Girl isn't going to even taste this. LOL)

Yesterday Pool Guy and I were out running errands and we ran into the Target to pick up a few things. My sweet Pool Guy bought me a smaller 4qt crock pot! So today I get to make the Apricot Chicken for supper.

Usually, I take the recipes I've seen and adapt them to suit our tastes and to work with what I have in the pantry. Today I made two minor substitutions and halved the recipe to accommodate a meal for the two of us, not a family of 5 or 6.
;)







Apricot Chicken
~ Crock Pot
(meal for 2-3)



  • 3 frozen boneless/skinless chicken breasts
  • 1/2 packet of onion soup mix (a whole packet is approx. 1/3 cup)
  • 1/4 cup French Dressing
  • 1/2 cup Apricot Preserves
  • 1 tablespoon Rice Wine Vinegar (original recipe called for cider vinegar)
  • 1 teaspoon Thai Chili/Garlic Sauce (original recipe called for dried chili flakes)


Place your chicken breasts in the bottom of the crock pot.



Mix remaining ingredients in a measuring cup or a bowl. Pour over the top of the chicken. I tried to make sure I coated all the chicken pieces as best I could.

After it cooked on high for 2.5 hours, I opened it up and pulled the chicken out and cut it into bite sized pieces and put it back in the crock pot to cook on low until dinner. I also found about 1/4 cup of leftover caramelized onions in the fridge that I threw in there.



Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 3-4 then turn to warm until ready to serve.

Serve with rice and steamed veggies.



Results: I really didn't care for this. I actually was quite disappointed after reading all the reviews on all the sites.

The picture is of my plate and I ended up eating less than a third of it. Pool Guy ate two servings of this but when I asked him if he wanted me to make it again, he said "not really". I think he was just really hungry after working a 14 hour day.

The leftovers didn't make it into the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment