22 October 2009

Tacos with Avocado Salsa

Yesterday I browned 2lbs of super lean ground beef (97/3) with a chopped onion and put it in the fridge. Last night we used about a third of it for Sloppy Joes and tonight I will use some for Tacos.



(this was my plate, Pool Guy ate four tacos!)




Taco Meat Seasonings: ( use 2 tbsp per pound of meat)

  • 3 tablespoons chili powder
  • 3 tablespoons flour
  • 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
  • 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons paprika
  • 1 tablespoon and 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1 tablespoon sea salt
  • 1 tablespoon black pepper

I keep it in a mason jar in the spice cupboard. All I need to do is put some of the meat into a bowl, add the seasonings with a tad bit of water and microwave until it is heated through.





Guacamole Salsa:

  • 2 Haas Avocados (depending on size)
  • 1/2 cup of your favorite salsa (I'm using my homemade)
  • 1 clove of garlic - minced
  • 2 tbsp lime juice
  • pinch of salt



Halve and pit your avocados. Place everything in a food processor and whirl away. (my large one wouldn't work so I had to do it in batches in the small processor)

It will be the consistency of a dip when it's done. Taste and adjust any seasonings. Serve as you would salsa.



Results: As always, the tacos were a big hit. The avocado salsa was too. I made way too much though. I'll just put the rest in the freezer. Two hours later, glucose still in target range. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment