29 October 2009

Cheeseburger Soup

I was watching Food Network late at night a couple of nights ago and saw a place that made Cheeseburger Soup on that show Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. I thought "hey, that looks good! Except for the lettuce she just threw in there." Yep, the lady making it threw in a bunch of cut up lettuce. In soup. The host said the lettuce was actually good in the soup, but I just couldn't bring myself to put a chopped up head of lettuce in my soup. LOL

I couldn't find a recipe online even close to what she had made. Everything I found had all kinds of non-cheeseburger stuff in it. Why on earth would you put carrots, celery and potatoes on your cheeseburger? This lady left all that out. She knew what she was doing! (except for the lettuce) LOL Who knows, one day I might get up the nerve to add the lettuce. Update: I made this again and this time I did add the lettuce just before I served it. The lettuce adds a whole other dimension to this soup. You have to try it with the lettuce!

I had to go and make my own version of this Cheeseburger Soup! I just worked from memory adjusting to compensate for what I had on hand. So, here is my version!








Cheeseburger Soup

  • 2 pounds super lean ground beef 97/3
  • 2 pints (32 oz) chicken stock
  • 1 1/2 pints half and half (I just used cream and water - 2:3 ratio)
  • 3/4 block of Velveeta, cubed (she used a cheese sauce, like from a can)
  • 1 large onion, diced
  • 3 med - large tomatoes, diced
  • 1/2 head of lettuce, chopped (I left this out, this time around)
  • seasonings of choice (I used Montreal Steak. That's what I normally put on burgers)
  • corn starch (she used a flour and water slurry)
In a large stock pot or dutch oven, sweat your onion until it's translucent. Then add your ground beef, season and cook until browned, drain.





Add your chicken stock, half and half and Velveeta. Let that cook until all the cheese is melted, but don't let it boil.
Add your flour/water slurry at this point if you are using that instead of corn starch.

Add more seasoning if needed and turn the heat down to low. Cover and let cook until you are ready for supper. I let mine cook for 2 hours.




Add your diced tomatoes and lettuce, stir it in and serve.

(Just before serving, add the corn starch to thicken it if you didn't add the flour/water slurry in the beginning.)





Results:
First of all, this made an entire stock pot full of soup! We have enough left over to feed an entire football team. LOL Next time I think I will cut the recipe in half. For now, I'll just try freezing some.

Secondly, this ROCKS! Pool Guy sopped up two and a half huge bowls of this with almost an entire loaf of crusty bread by himself. This definitely gets added to the list of must have soups and stews for fall and winter!


Sugar levels were fine after this meal. Good thing, we are having it again tonight. :D

17 comments:

  1. I think the lettuce would be great Guy really liked it I can't remember how much she put in and when did she put it in?

    ReplyDelete
  2. She just had a whole bunch cut up on a cutting board and put it in there. It looked like she put in when she put all the other stuff in. The show comes on again soon. I have it set to record so I can see it again and figure this out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, I just went and looked. It was on today. I'll have to watch the recording sometime over the weekend. If I missed something, I'll be sure and revise my post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you so much for posting this recipe! i saw the original triple D episode and then the rerun tonight and thought i really want to make this so went online like you did and found the ones with potatoes and thought the same as you. i can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! thank you so much for posting this! I saw it on the show today and I can't stop thinking about it! Everything you put in is exactly what the lady on the show put in hers! Im sure I will enjoy this as much as your pool man did! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you figured out how to make this. I was hunting everywhere for the recipe after I saw it today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just watched DD&D and went online to look for a recipe. Thanks - you've saved me a lot of time! BTW - for those wondering, she dumped the lettuce & tomatoes in at the very end. I cringed but Guy liked it.

    Martha in KS

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds great. What size block of cheese did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Velveeta I use is a 2 lb loaf.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks everyone for reading and trying the Cheeseburger Soup recipe.

    I hope yall enjoy it as much as we did!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay! Thank you for posting. I have been looking for this recipe since I saw the show too! I was actually mad that it was not on foodnetwork.com! Can't wait to make it this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay! I have been looking for this since the first run of the show! Can't wait to make it this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello...I live near Buffalo, NY close to Grover's where this recipe originated. My husband & I went there this past week and had lunch there. We shared a bowl of the cheeseburger soup & were AMAZED at how good it is..the lettuce definetely makes it what it is. Lucku us to live so close...going to give your recipe a try..thank you so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I also live near Grover's and tried this soup by complete accident last week..it was great
    sooo today I made some....I used lettuce and Tomatoes etc...and it tastes darned close to what I had to eat at Grovers....good stuff..
    thanks for the recipe...

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a great soup! I did change the recipe a bit because I didn't have Velveeta on hand. I sauteed the onions, browned the beef, drained it, seasoned it, added chicken stock and let it continue to simmer. To incorporate cheddar cheese instead of Velveeta, I made a basic bechamel sauce. In a separate sauce pot I melted 1/2 c. butter and added 1/2 c. all-purpose flour. I whisked in 4 c. whole milk and to this I was able to add 2 c. shredded cheddar cheese which I stirred in until it was melted and smooth. I added this to the meat mixture along with chopped lettuce and tomatoes. I toasted hamburger buns, cut them in half and served them with the soup to eat with the soup. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  16. WONDERFUL RECIPE !!!! I've been wanting this from the first time I saw it!!! It was on again tonight, so will be on this weekend so I can tape it!!! And of course she didn't give it up in the books lol!!!
    This was awesome, I did substitute for the velveta a Cheddar Cheese Sauce/Pasta Sauce I had on hand and had to use before it expired lol, but it worked well... The only other thing I did do because I had some bacon down I needed to use I used a little on top when served, same like Baked Potao Soup... Really Great though and Thank You for your posting and taking the time to do this!!!
    Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good afternoon. I used your recipe as a basis for my version of Cheeseburger Soup. Just had to make it after watching DDD last week. It turned out fabulous. I'm posting it on my blog today. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete