28 March 2009

Salsa ~ Canned

We are running out of a bunch of things in the pantry so I will be canning quite a bit in the coming weeks.

Today, it was salsa.

I had enough tomatoes with what was in the garden and what I had bought at the store last week, but we have been eating the garden tomatoes like they are going out of style. So last night I was at the store and decided to just buy a #10 (102 oz) can of crushed tomatoes. All the fresh tomatoes were running around $1.60 lb and looked really bad. You could use canned diced if you like, we just like the texture better of the crushed.

We don't much care for chunky salsa and Pool Guy doesn't care for salsa that is really hot. He does like a nice little kick though. ;) I think you can always add some hot sauce to it when you eat it if you want it hot, I do. This is more along the lines of a mild salsa. (however, my second batch was more along the lines of a medium salsa)


Salsa: (makes 8 pints)

  • 1 - 102 oz can of tomatoes, crushed or diced ~ 2.23
  • 3 - large onions, chopped (about 3 lbs) ~ .96
  • 7 - jalapenos, seeded and chopped (more if you like it hot) ~ 0.00 from my garden
  • 3 - poblano peppers, roasted then skin and seeds removed ~ 1.00 (they were 3 for $1)
  • 1 - cup lime juice ~ .48
  • 1/2 - cup white vinegar ~ .07
  • 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped ~ .57
  • 1 - tablespoon ground cumin ~ .03
  • 2 - tablespoons kosher or sea salt ~ .01 (you don't want the chemicals in iodized salt)
  • 1/2 - tablespoon of fresh ground pepper ~ .01

Pour your tomatoes into a large stock pot. Turn on to med-low heat.

Add your chopped onions, jalapenos, poblanos, lime juice and vinegar. You can use canned jalapenos (or I suppose you could use any canned hot pepper) if you like. If you do use canned, they more than likely will be hotter than what you get fresh at the store or from you garden. Make sure you add them sparingly and add more as you let it cook if you need to. (I used some fresh from my garden.)

Let those cook for about 20 minutes or until they start to soften.

Add your seasonings and the cilantro. Let simmer for 20 minutes.

Ladle into your hot, sterilized jars, place caps on and water bath for 15 min.














Cost: $5.36 or 67 cents per pint.

I had enough stuff that I ended up making 2 batches, so I now have 16 pints stored!

No comments:

Post a Comment