22 March 2009

Braised Beef Ribs

On the menu for tonight was BBQ Ribs. Mmmm. However, there was a slight problem, Pool Guy is working late so I'm not sure when he will come home for dinner. Kinda hard to BBQ ribs when you don't know when you will be serving them. LOL

I didn't want to depart from the weekly menu on day 1! So I decided to braise them. That way they could cook low and slow in the oven until he came home and we could eat. I guess I could have done them in the crock pot, if I had thought about it before 1:00 in the afternoon.

(I will link to the posts with the recipe for my BBQ Sauce when I make it again. Which will be soon as this was the last pint in the cupboard)

Braised Beef Ribs:

  • 3-4 lbs - Boneless Beef Ribs ~ $3.35 (on sale for 99 cents per pound)
  • 1 cup - beef broth ~ 07 cents (home canned)
  • 1 - bottle favorite BBQ Sauce ~ 27 cents (home canned)
  • Seasonings

Season ribs on both sides. I used Bolner's Fiesta Mesquite Brisket Rub.

Heat a cast iron Dutch Oven over med-high heat.

Coat bottom with oil once pot is hot.

Add ribs, do not crowd. I had to do mine in 4 batches.

Cook just until nicely browned on all sides. This will take about 30 seconds per side if your pot is hot enough. Remove and set aside. Do this until all your ribs are browned.


See all those little browned goodies in the bottom of your pot? You want those! You need to deglaze the pot. So, pour in about 1cup of beef broth and scrape them up. They should pretty much come up on their own when you
pour in the liquid. Be careful, this will bubble up and steam. Very hot!
Place all the ribs back into the pot.



Pour your BBQ sauce over the top of the ribs. I used about 3/4 of a pint of homemade sauce.

Cover and put in the oven at 275

for 2-3 hours depending on how much meat you have.







Braised Beef Ribs with homemade Creamy Coleslaw. Yum!






Coleslaw:

Cabbage from garden ~ $0
1/3 cup mayonnaise ~ .15
juice of one lemon ~ $0 (lemon from neighbor's tree)
2 pkts Splenda ~ .04
salt, pepper to taste


Total Cost for Meal: $3.88

No comments:

Post a Comment