06 February 2009

Sprouting your own Mung Beans


(adapted from Cook's Thesaurus: Sprouts)

mung bean sprouts = bean sprouts Notes: These are the large sprouts that are common in supermarkets. They're crisp and nutty, and they're the best sprouts for stir-frying, though they can also be served raw. To keep them fresh, rinse them off and immerse them in cold water, then store them in the refrigerator. They're very perishable, so try to use them within a day or two. (if store bought) Canned bean sprouts are a very poor substitute for fresh.

I love the texture and flavor Mung Bean Sprouts added to a dish. My grocery doesn't sell fresh Mung sprouts so I thought I would just grow my own. :)

I ordered some Mung beans from a place that I have ordered things from many times and have always been happy with the product, Barry Farm.

I made my own "sprouter". I took a wide mouth quart jar, the band, and cut two squares from a mesh delicates' laundry bag I had but was not using. (you could use cheese cloth)

I put 1/2 cup of beans into the jar. Put the cloth squares over the top and put the band on the jar. I then filled the jar 1/2 way with water, swished and rinsed the beans and poured the water out. I did this 3-4 times. Then I just filled the jar with water.

I put the jar in the back bedroom where it is dark and it wouldn't be disturbed.


Cost: beans were 2.59 lb. ~ 8 half cup batches per pound = 32 cents for 2-3 cups of sprouts.

No comments:

Post a Comment