29 January 2009

Depression Cooking: Poorman's Meal

The other day I was reading about this cool lady named Clara. She has a video series on You Tube called Great Depression Cooking. Everything she makes looks really good. This one meal caught my eye though. Poorman's Meal. I thought to myself, "I think I have all the stuff to make that!" So I got busy.

I did make a few changes to the recipe though. I didn't have hot dogs thawed so I used what I had. I think she would approve. ;)

Here is the video for her recipe:



Here is my version of Clara's recipe:

1 - large onion chopped
3 - large cloves garlic chopped
2 - large potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 - pkg smoked polish sausage
3/4 cup oil
salt
pepper
paprika

Heat cast iron skillet over med heat until very hot. Pour 1/2 of oil in then add your chopped onions. I cooked mine until they started to brown.

Add your chopped garlic and stir. Cook until garlic is heated.

Add your chopped potatoes and the rest of the oil. Stir/cook until the potatoes are about 1/2 cooked.

Add your seasonings and your sausage. Stir/cook until the potatoes are fully cooked.

Serve immediately.

This is really good the next day heated up with a little tomato sauce or salsa added.

No comments:

Post a Comment