10 January 2009

Broccoli Cheese Soup

Yesterday I harvested a really big, like almost 2 lbs, head of broccoli from the garden. I brought it in, washed it and put it in the fridge. Last night I was thinking about what I was going to do with it. Today when I woke up, it was really cold outside! It's been around 80 for the past week. It was somewhat of a surprise. So I looked in the fridge and pantry, then decided to make Broccoli Cheese Soup with it.

1/3 cup butter
1 - med onion, chopped
3 - cloves garlic, minced
1 - 1 1/2lb head of broccoli (run through a food processor)
1 1/2 lbs velveeta, cubed
2 - cups milk
1 1/2 - quarts chicken broth
2/3 cup corn starch
1 1/2 cups frozen broccoli tops

Melt butter in pot over med heat, then put in your onions. Once they have softened, add your garlic.


Once the garlic and onion are softened, and making the entire house smell oh, so good, add your head of fresh broccoli. I put mine through the food processor. I wanted it all chopped up. That is where the broccoli flavor in the soup will come from. So use your fresh for this step. After adding your broccoli, add your broth. I used home canned because I had some. Boxed from the store is fine though.

Once your broth is heated through, add your cubed velveeta. The smaller you cube it, the quicker it will melt.


Once the cheese is all melted, add one cup of milk. Bring to a rolling boil, mix the corn starch into the 2nd cup of milk and add to the pot. This will thicken quickly. Turn off the heat and add your frozen broccoli tops. Cover the pot and let it sit for 15 min or so until the frozen broccoli has time to get hot.

Once I added the milk and frozen broccoli, it filled the pot within 1/4 inch of the top. Blue Girl ate hers over some pasta and Pool Guy and I had our with some crusty bread.


We will have a bunch left over. Since it has the milk, cheese and corn starch, I won't be able to can it. This time, I will let it cool down, put into sandwich size ziploc bags and freeze.

1 comment:

  1. This looks really GOOD! Velveeta is so expensive but sometimes you just have to use it in a recipe and the expense is worth it!
    Great Blog!
    Erika @ pioneer homemaker

    ReplyDelete